Information About Cancer Symptoms
The term “cancer” often sends a chill running as it is known to be one of the deadliest diseases the world has seen till today. The term is used as a broad classification to denote diseases that are caused by random and uncontrollable cell growth in the human body. Though the disease is classified into five major groups, there are more than 100 types of cancer depending on the area or organ where abnormal cells start to develop.
The cure for cancer is not yet completely established though medical advancement has raised the cure ratio to almost about 60-70%. The disease is completely curable when it s detected in the early stages and its growth controlled. Thus this calls in for the need or the awareness for every individual to know about cancer and its symptoms. Though some of the types of cancer do not show any symptoms or signs until they develop into advanced stages, many exhibit common symptoms which can be watched for. This article is all about the symptoms associated with cancer and detailed information about them.
1. Fatigue – The most common symptom that cancer exhibits is persistent fatigue. The patient experiences fatigue in all stages of the disease and is more pronounced in the advanced states. Though many cancers exhibit fatigue at the early state itself clearly, some might not display till the disease grows extensively inside the body. Fatigue can be experienced by both kinds of cancers, be it malignant or malignant and is often associated to becoming anaemic plus loss of immunity in the body. In the types of cancer that affect the bowel organs or the area, fatigue is a very common symptom.
2. Weight Loss – Loss of weight is normally a pleasure for many, but unexpected and excessive weight loss is a point of concern. Loss of excessive weight which may or may not be associated with appetite loss is also known to be one major symptom of cancer. Though weight loss denotes the possibility of many diseases, it is wise to consult a doctor if you think that you have lost massively within a short period.
3. Fever – A fever is a mild indication given by the body that something is wrong internally. Though fever is associated with many diseases, persistent fever or one that occurs frequently needs to be attended. Such kind of fevers normally denotes a stressed immune system and it is advisable to then get screening for cancer done. Normally cancers related to blood like leukemia or lymphoma show symptoms of fever and so also do other cancers which are in quite advanced state.
4. Bowel Changes – Colon cancer normally exhibits symptoms of bowel changes which might be followed with constipation, diarrhea, gas or blood in stools. In case of such situations, it is advisable to consult your physician and get a screening done for cancer. These though are common symptoms of cancer, and sometimes can also be linked to other types of cancer.
5. Cough – Cough is normally a day-to-day affair, though it is a must to seek medical guidance when it stays for a longer time or is persistent and worse. Chronic cough that is related with mucus or blood is normally a symptom of cancer in the lungs. Though chronic cough with mucus and blood can be caused by many conditions, lung cancer is one possible disease they could be associated with.
6. Pain – Pain is a symptom of cancer but when it is in an advanced stage. It is sometimes a symptom in earlier stages of cancer types which spreads and affects the bone. In other cases of cancer, pain is experienced only when the cancer is in an advanced state and has spread to other parts of the body and nerves. Ovarian and colon cancer can be associated with pain in the lower back. Pain in the shoulder is often related to lung cancer while stomach pains are often related to cancer of the stomach, pancreas, etc. Persistent headaches also need to be taken into consideration as it can be a symptom of malignant or benign tumors of the brain.
These are a few very generic symptoms that are related to cancer though these symptoms can also be caused by other health conditions. Also these can be exhibited in many stages of the different cancer types depending on the individual and the level of spread of the disease.
But this is not all; specific cancer types showcase specific symptoms as an indication of the disease. Below is a list of specific symptoms for a few well-known types of cancer.
* Bone cancer is associated with pain and swelling of the affected area along with weakness and fracture in the bones.
* Brain cancer can be accompanied with dizziness, drowsiness and abnormal eye movements and vision changes.
* Breast cancer is associated with lumps in the breasts and discharge from nipples.
* Leukemia is cancer of the blood cells and can show symptoms of weakness, paleness, fever and prolonged bleeding effects.
* Blood in the urine or pain in the back along with high blood pressure is normally a sign of kidney cancer.
* Skin cancer can cause change in existing moles or bumps on the skin along with discoloration and bleeding.
* Oral Cancer is characterized by lumps or ulcers in the mouth, lip, tongue or inside lining of the mouth. It is also normally accompanied by oral pains, loose teeth, foul breadth and bleeding.
* Ovarian Cancer is cancer of the ovaries which possess signs of swelling and discomfort in the abdomen along with bleeding in an abnormal manner in the vagina.
* Abdominal pain and unexpected weight loss is also sometimes seen in case of pancreatic cancer which might also cause yellowing of the skin and enlargement of the spleen ad liver.
* Patients suffering from stomach cancer can experience difficulties in urination and in retaining urine in the bladder.
They might feel the frequent urgency to urinate along with the burning or painful urination. They might also at times experience dull pain in the pelvic area and/or in the back.