Early Detection of Cancer Symptoms

Early Detection of Cancer Symptoms

The World Health Organization (WHO) reported that in the year 2000 there were more than fifty-six (56) million deaths from all types of cancer worldwide. WHO estimates that the number of new cancer diagnoses will increase by 50% to more than fifteen (15) million new cases every year by the year 2020.

According to “The World Cancer Report” a study authored by the International Agency for Research on Cancer (IARC) there is an opportunity to have an impact and reduce the number of future diagnosed cases by taking immediate action today to preserve the health of the population, educate and address risk factors that least to cancer diagnoses. “Action now can prevent one third of cancers, cure another third, and provide good, palliative care to the remaining third who need it,” said Dr. Paul Kleihues, Director of IARC.

In addition to preventative measures include lifestyle changes regarding healthy diet and exercise, as well as smoking cessation, education on the early detection of cancer symptoms is critical to positive patient resolution and a reduction in cancer morbidity rates.

Stomach cancer symptoms manifest as digestion issues, conditions of acid reflux and abdominal pain. Clinicians have concluded that a bacterium called a Helicobacter Pylori infection caused an estimated 85% of recorded stomach cancer occurrences.

Bowel cancer symptoms can appear as chronic diarrhea or changes in stool behavior either more frequent (diarrhea) or less frequent (constipation). Bowel cancer symptoms can at times be masked by other conditions such as hemorrhoids or Inflammatory Bowel Syndrome (IBS) and can easily be misdiagnosed.

Throat cancer symptoms present themselves in the pharynx which is the hollow tube structure inside the neck that begins behind the nose and finishes where the airway and stomach esophagus begin. Initial symptoms can include a sore neck and open sores (or lesions) which may or may not bleed. Difficulty swallowing and a noticeable change of tone of voice are two throat cancer symptoms that present themselves at the onset. Mouth cancer symptoms can include large tumor growths in the upper-mouth, and around the lips and tongue.

Testicular cancer can be difficult to detect due to the reluctance of men to discuss problems with their testicles with their physicians. Attitudes toward sexuality and impeding sexual performance can be partly attributed to some of the hesitancies expressed by men to both conduct examinations and seek information and treatment.

Uterine cancer symptoms are the most common of all female reproduction system diagnoses and is the fourth most common cancer found in women worldwide. About 95% of uterine cancer is detected in the endometrial tissues inside the uterus with the other 5% detected in the musculature network outside the uterus. Cancer detected inside the tissue of the uterus is referred to as endometrial cancer and 2.6% of women in North America have a probability of developing this condition in their lifetime.

Pancreatic cancer in the United States alone are responsible for more than 40,000 deaths per year. The death rate from the diagnoses and the rate of confirmed cases of pancreatic cancer symptoms are almost equal, with mortality rates equivalent to new cases each year. Pancreatic cancer has the shortest average patient survival time of all types of cancer, with the average life span of a Stage II or higher diagnoses being less than one year.

Patient self-management is key and empowering individuals to be aware of changes and abnormalities in their own personal health is the best source of early detection and prevention of morbidity in cancer diagnosed populations.

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *