Signs of Lung Cancer You Should Be On the Lookout For
Lung cancer is one of the leading causes of cancer deaths in the world. It is manifested by uncontrolled cell growth of cells in parts of the lungs and body in a process known as metastasis. If you detect the signs in its early stages, it can be cured. Though it is mainly associated with heavy smokers, it is nowadays a main killer of even occasional smokers and non-smokers. It kills more than twice the number of people breast cancer kills and is more prevalent in men than even prostate cancer.
Lung cancer can take many years before developing in the body which makes many people fail to note its symptoms and even ignore them. In most cases, it is diagnosed at a late stage when little can be done and this explains why it kills many people. However, the signs of cancer of the lungs are obvious when it is present along with other mild signs. These signs are discussed below:
Signs of Lung Cancer
1. A persistent cough that does not go away. This may be taken as the side effect of smoking or be attributed to something else. It is popularly referred to as the smokers cough. A long persistent cough should be checked by a doctor to ascertain that it is not an indicator of an underlying health problem.
2. A cough containing small blood amounts. This is an indicator of cancer though at times it may be caused by another illness. It is not normal and you should visit the doctor as soon as you notice it.
3. Constant pains that are not intermittent in the chest, back and shoulders. These are cancer signs that are often overlooked. They are thought to be caused by playing, walking or even exercising excessively.
4. Shortness of breath and wheezing. These signs are also overlooked. People think they are slightly overweight or a little out of trim. You should go for a check up to ascertain that you are not sick.
5. Recurrent pneumonia and chest infections. These are symptoms that the airways may be blocked by small spots that grow on the inside tubes and are associated with lung cancer. Over time, these spots sometimes grow into malignant tumors.
6. Notable weight loss. A significant weight loss yet you are eating normally should be of concern to you. This condition changes the body’s metabolism. If you think you have lost much weight in an unjustifiable manner, you should visit a doctor.
7. Excessive and continued tiredness. If you note you remain tired even after a night’s rest, you should be concerned as this is a symptom of cancer. If you think your lifestyle does not justify your tiredness, see a doctor.
These are the main signs of lung cancer. If you notice them, you should book an appointment with your doctor as soon as possible. If the doctor cannot assure you on why you have these symptoms, seek the advice of a second or even a third doctor. It is a serious ailment and nothing should be left to chance.
The author of this article is a freelance writer who reviews the top resources on signs of lung cancer. Come to our website to read more about how to find information on symptoms of lung cancer!