The Epidemiology and Breast Cancer

The Epidemiology and Breast Cancer

Epidemiology is the study of factors influencing the health and illness of populations. It also serves as the foundation and logic of interventions made in the interest of public health and preventive medicine. It is deemed a basis methodology of public health research, and is greatly considered in evidence-based medicine for discovering risk factors for disease and settling on optimal treatment methods to clinical practice.

Breast cancer is the most widespread shape of cancer in women, accounting for one in ten of all new cancer diagnoses and nearly one in four female cancers. Every year, breast cancer is identified in 1.1 million women all-around the world. The yearly worldwide incidence of breast cancer has nearly doubled since 1975.

The occurrence and incidence of breast cancer add to with increasing age. Roughly 50% of breast cancers happen in women aged 50-64 years, with a further 30% arising in women over the age of 70 years.

A lot of the established risk factors are related to oestrogens. Risk is raised by early menarche, late menopause, and obesity in postmenopausal women, and prospective studies have demonstrated that high concentrations of endogenous oestradiol are linked with an increase in risk. Childbearing decreases risk, with greater protection for early first birth and a larger number of births; breastfeeding possibly has a protective outcome. Both oral contraceptives and hormonal therapy for menopause lead to a small growth in breast-cancer risk, which comes into sight to reduce once use stops. Alcohol raises risk, whereas physical activity is maybe protective. Mutations in certain genes significantly augment breast-cancer risk, but these account for a minority of cases

Epidemiological risk factors for a disease could give significant clues as regards the etiology, or cause, of a disease. The first work on the epidemiology and etiology of breast cancer was made by Janet Lane-Claypon, who published a comparative study in 1926 of 500 breast cancer cases and 500 control patients of the same background and lifestyle for the British Ministry of Health

Even though a lot of epidemiological risk factors have been recognized, the cause of any individual breast cancer is frequently not able to be understood. In other words, epidemiological research gives information the patterns of breast cancer incidence across particular populations, but not in a given individual. Roughly 5% of new breast cancers are attributable to inherited syndromes, while no etiology is identified for the other 95% of cases.

The Epidemiology and Breast Cancer

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *