10 Super Foods Which Keep Cancer at Bay
It’s perplexing when you come across metaphors and quotes that compare food with good health and mental stability for the first time. You tend to wonder why is there a comparison, and how do they really benefit our health system.
To quote an example, “An apple a day keeps the doctor away” is a very famous saying which is used most commonly by teachers in schools and doctors who recite it to young patients. However the true meaning and how it came into existence is not truly understood. The ancient researchers and doctors studied and experimented with the apple, which made them come to a conclusion that the ingredients present inside this fruit has medicinal values and can help a person maintain their health condition all through their life by consuming it at least once in a day.
Almost everything that you eat is enriched with nutrients that help your body to maintain its essence and can also cure sickness and disorders. You tend to crib when your parents or doctors advise you to eat vegetables and fruits and sometimes even leave you with no other option than to eat them. Least do you realize that they are filled with nutrients and when consumed habitually, help our body to stay fit and reduces the chances of getting affected by diseases and dire sickness.
Super foods – What are they and how do they benefit you?
Super foods are categorized as those foods that hold medicinal value and are consumed to maintain good health and even cure diseases. There are various Super foods which are proved to have unique ingredients that can eradicate sickness. These are scientifically proven to benefit health conditions and are prescribed even by doctors today as a remedy to find ailments and various health disorders.
Cancer is one of the disease, researchers have proved can be treated and be kept at bay with certain Super foods and 10 of the most important ones are listed below:
1) Berries – Berries are enriched with antioxidants which protect cells from getting affected by cancer. It also contains polyphenols which repair damaged cells and also reduces their content in the body. They are also enriched with cancer fighting ingredients such as fiber and vitamin C. Researchers have proved that berries can fight against skin, lung, breast cancers and bladder. Berries are tasty and are used as ingredients in various prepared or baked foods like muffins, cereals, salads and pancakes to name a few.
2) Grapes – Grapes are commonly prescribed Super food by doctors to cancer affected patients. Purple and red grapes are enriched with Resveratrol, which is a chemical plant and antioxidants preserved in the outer layer of the skin. Research and study conducted by the American Institute for Cancer Research have shown that these ingredients stop cancer cell from spreading and growing inside the body. Grapes are best prescribed to patients affected by Breast, Liver, Stomach and Colon cancer.
3) Cruciferous Vegetables – Cruciferous vegetables like think broccoli and cabbage are enriched with cancer fighting ingredients such as indole-3-carbinol, glucosinolates, and crambene as per the study conducted by the American Institute for Cancer Research. Other ingredients such as sulforaphane help the body to keep cancer at bay and also help reduce the cancer cells growth in the body. Cruciferous vegetables can help fight Breast, Stomach, Skin, Pharynx, Mouth, Esophageal cancer and Larynx.
4) Tomatoes – The bright red color that glows on the outer skin is due to an antioxidant called the lycopene which reduces the damage of cells and eradicates the ones that are not growing right. According to Dr. Wilhelm Stahl, antioxidant researcher and a professor and at a University in Germany, these antioxidants can protect the skin from cancer by absorbing ultraviolet light emitted by the sun. Tomatoes are recommended to patients affected by Breast, Lung, Endometrial, Skin, Prostrate and Mouth cancer.
5) Garlic – In mythology, garlic was used to scare away vampires! However, scientifically they consist of antioxidant called allyl sulfides that disturbs the cancer process. These antioxidants also help reduce the chances of cells from getting damaged or infected. Garlic can fight Breast, Stomach, Lung, Esophageal and Colon cancer.
6) Flaxseed – Flaxseeds are enriched with lignans which is an antioxidant, which assists the body to improve immunity in the body and reduce inflammation. Flaxseed can best be suggested to patients affected by Breast, Colon, Lung cancer and Skin.
7) Tea – Tea is enriched with an antioxidant called catechins and various studies and research has proved that it can help reduce the growth of cancer cells and reduce tumors. Tea can be prescribed to patients suffering from Liver, Colon, Breast, Lung, Prostate, Skin, Stomach, Bladder and Pancreatic
8) Legumes – Legumes such as peas, lentils and beans contains natural photochemical which stop cancer cells from reproducing and spreading inside the body. According to the American Institute of Cancer Research, fibers present in these legumes reduce the chances of falling prey to Stomach and Colon cancer.
9) Whole Grains – Study shows that people who consume whole grains habitually can reduce the risks of cancer by almost 45%. The antioxidants present in whole grains help in not getting infected by cancer causing agents and protect the cells. Whole grains help reduce the chances of getting infected by Colon, Stomach cancer and Breast.
10) Dark Green Leafed Vegetables – These vegetables contain antioxidants that help in cell to cell communication and help control the growth of cells which protects our DNA. Dark green leafed vegetables are prescribed to patients affected by Skin, Breast, Lung, Mouth, Stomach, Larynx cancer and Pharynx.
Doctors have not yet been able to find the perfect cure for cancer, however with these Super foods, you can ensure that cancer is controlled and kept at bay. These Super foods contain nutrients that can help mature or maintain our immunity system which acts as a shield to protect your body from diseases like cancer. Spreading awareness and educating the people around you about the importance of these Super foods can help bring down the rapid increase in the number of cancer patients and also help those affected by this disease.